Sharing your E-mail password with someone is indeed a big test of trust. And if you’re among those who use the same Password for everything, know you’re at risk.
With the Gmail’s delegates feature, you can grant anyone access to your gmail account without even revealing your password to the person. You can add up to 10 delegates(representative or people) with a regular account and up to 25 with a school/work account.
Delegates can also read, re-send/send and delete mails in your Gmail account. Whenever an email is sent by a delegate, their own email address will appear in the mail sent as well. They can also manage and help in controlling your Gmail contacts. They cannot or ever access your settings so as to avoid changing any of your Gmail settings, including your password and also will be unable to chat with anyone on your behalf.
This is a great feature for granting access to your email or for creating one customer service email to be used by so many people.
How to Add Delegates(representatives) in Gmail
• Go to Settings on your Gmail dashboard
• Select Accounts and Import
• Under the Grant access to your account, click on Add another account.
• Choose if messages read by delegates should be marked as read or not.
• When prompted, enter the E-mail address of the person you wish to grant access to and then confirm you want to grant access.
The person invited will receive an email with a link that they must click within seven days of receiving the email or else the offer will close up after seven days.
You’ll know when the person has accepted your request by going back to the Accounts and Import section and you’ll see if they’ve accepted or not next to the email address.
Google made it clear it should take about 30 minutes for the setting to start working and then the invitee can now view and send emails on your be-hehalf.
How to Remove Delegate(representative or invited/added person) in Gmail
If you decide you no longer want someone to have access to your Gmail account, then do the following:
• Go to Settings on your dashboard
• Accounts and Import
• Under the Grant access to your account, click Delete next to the E-mail account you want to kick out
Do you make use of Gmail delegates? How do you grant access to your email account? Let us know in the comment box.